Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Civility Covenant

A friend showed me this article today, Christians From Political Right and Left Sign 'Civility Covenant.'

I have to say; anytime you get Jim Wallis & Chuck Colson in the same sentence, it will get my attention.

File Photo

Personally, I think that prominent religious leaders should be making a concentrated effort to be civil towards each other. Recognizing that we're all together, despite political affiliations.

Too often I see it (from both sides) question the sincerity, and the faith, of their political opponents instead of recognizing that differences of opinion really can occur...while still believing in Jesus. The attitudes that our leaders have are passed down the line. We take our cues from them, whether we want to admit it or not.

And I think that seeing this type of attempt at reconciliation between opposing politics could cause regular people (you know, like you & me) to try and do the same reconciliation between people we know who we don't agree with politically.

I think that in such an era of extreme polarization, an agreement like this has been a long time coming.

I am however, unsold as to how effective it could be. I am slightly skeptical of a good amount, after all. But I'd hope that movements such as this really can change the religious & political discourse. Eventually even leading to (gasp) being civil with people who are...

NOT the same religion as you!

But I may be dreaming for too much. Meh.

Have any thoughts on this article? Do you think it's needed? Gratuitous? Needed but ineffective?