In America, over 33% of children are raised in a single parent household, and climbing yearly. In the African American community, that number jumps to over 50% (this number has doubled in a mere 30 years).
- 84% of single-parent households are single-mother households.
- Children who grow up without a father are 5x more likely to live in poverty and commit crime as adults.
- They are 9x more likely to drop out of school.
- They are 20x (twenty times!) more likely to end up in prison.
- They are more likely to have behavioral problems, run away from home, or become teenage parents. You can easily see how the cycle propagates itself.
Of single parent households:
- 81% are gainfully employed
- 75% live ABOVE the poverty line
- 69% do NOT receive public assistance
It is not so hard to believe that just maybe the simple lack of having a male role model/father figure in the life of the child is causing that huge of a difference emotionally, developmentally and spiritually.