Monday, June 07, 2010

God is "for" everybody

If you trust in Jesus, God is "for" you. He's on your side, he is your advocate, comforter, counselor, redeemer, etc etc etc. Jesus is said to be interceding for us to God at all times.

Unfortunately, many people take God being "for" them to mean that God is therefore also "not for" someone else. This can lead people to speak of specific groups of people and say that God isn't really "for" them.

In modern, Americanized Christianity we do this all time...especially with the LGBT community. Many of us see God as being against them because of their lifestyle, sexuality, choices, etc, how ever else we'd want to phrase it. What it really boils down to is us saying that God is OUR God, and not THEIR God.

I was in a brief conversation earlier today about this on Facebook, and posted a fairly long comment. I thought I would share that here with you guys too. I'd be curious to know your reactions.


Here it is:

---

The reason I disagree with saying God isn't really for them, is because I believe God is for everybody. That God really did die for them the same as he did for me. That God really does love everyone in the whole world, that anyone can come to him, and nothing can separate those who do from his love.

I think that for too long, we as a church have been more concerned with behavior modification as opposed to heart transformation.

By that I mean we say that people need to not act a certain way, not to do certain things, in order to have a relationship with Jesus. Where God seems much more concerned with people trusting in him to make them into something new.

I don't think that making a Biblical case for homosexuality matters, because I don't think that it's our job to get in between people and the life transforming power of God.

As Billy Graham said, "It's the Holy Spirit's job to convict, God's job to judge, and my job to love."

And I believe that many LGBT are desperately seeking Jesus, but are turned away by his people and are told they need to clean up their act first.

I can't speak for Jenny, but I'd think it's fair to say that is the part where her passion lies. In eliminating the burdens we have needlessly heaped upon people in their authentic search for God.

---

So, what do you think?

About anything brought up there? ;)