Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy Hands Worship

Have you ever seen the movie Napoleon Dynamite?

If not, you should. It's hilarious.

There's a running gag in the movie about the "Happy Hands Club." Here's 1 of the clips:



I was reminded about this movie, and its awesomeness, because there was an interesting situation at church last night.

I would have sworn that the woman in front of me was working on her audition piece for a local happy hands club during worship. It was very elaborate, and I would have invited her to call backs if I'm on the audition committee. The choreography was good, and she even had repeating patterns. Yes, I was paying enough attention that I was deciphering the patterns.

Now, I'm used to seeing people raising their hands, swaying perhaps, and being "into" worship. But I felt like a horrible person because I was allowing myself to focus on her at time...because to be honest, it was pretty distracting. 

Because it was hilarious.

Lots of synchronized looking waving, grabbing motions, opening and closing of arms, etc. I may or may not have seen a 'flapping bird' motion in there somewhere, I'm not sure.

I'm all about people expressing themselves during worship. But I wonder where the lines comes in between the expression and the distraction to everyone around you.

I mean, perhaps I wanted to worship God during church with an elaborate "23-hoop" hula hoop routine while riding a unicycle. I mean, who's to question the authenticity of MY worshiping God? How dare they focus on me instead of God?

But really...surely there's some unwritten line in there somewhere, isn't there?

What do you think?

Would you have been distracted? Would you have cared? Would you have joined in with the synchronized movements?