Monday, March 22, 2010

What Are You Without Love?

If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be?

And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody.

If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

(1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

I think Paul's point can be expanded further than what he wrote, and I think it should be. We should make the premise behind the words personal to our lives. I hear Paul's words rattling in my head quite often, sometimes they stop me from saying something hurtful...but too many times I ignore them, and nearly immediately regret it.

I logged onto facebook & twitter around 10p last night, and saw the storm erupting on the interwebs about health care reform. And despite what I was hearing in my head, I got slightly involved in it.

I thought of ways that Paul's words should be applied to mine and other people's actions at that moment...and I didn't like it.

I know that I always need more love. That I always need to receive more love, and I especially need to give and exhibit more love for others.

--
  • If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal.
  • If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? 
  • And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody.
  • If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.
And then the ones I started to make personal...
  • If I stand for what I believe to be right, and voice my disapproval at my leaders and government, but if I don't have love...
  • If I gloat about a policy or law change that I agree with, but if I don't love those who are against it...
  • If I see myself as informed and everyone who disagrees with me as ignorant, but I don't love them...
  • If I am legitimately afraid for my children's or grandchildren's futures, but if I don't have love...
  • I may have great influence in my life, people may listen to my advice and parrot back my opinions, but without love...
  • I may have severe ideological/political differences with my neighbor, or even my brother, but if I don't love them...
  • I may not understand the perspective of others, but if I didn't love them...
How do you make 1 Cor 13: 1-3 personal to you?

Where do you need to be reminded of the need for love in your life and interactions with others?

What are you, without love?